In any one year, there will be times when you are so busy. On the contrary, sometimes you will be so empty with less work to do. My busiest time for this year is August. Everybody in the office is busy.. officers attending meetings.. committees formed to go through chapter draftings. Last night, I went back home at 11.30pm, reached home almost 12.00 am and everybody in at home has gone to bed. My son came back from Gadjahmada on leave last monday, I could not even pick him up at the at the airport. I bought 2 tickets to watch the Chelsea game, but was not able to watch the game with him. Early morning today, I left 50 bucks for him, he said he's going to cinema. I really dont have time to sit down and talk with him. I hope this coming sunday, can spend more time with him instead of having to come to office. He will be leaving back to Jogja on 10 August 2008. I hope I can send him to the airport. I guess he wont be dissapointed with me.
I still remember when he was growing-up, I always come back home quite late in the evening. He always says Government servants dont work late. He was comparing me with other fathers who come home early and take their kids out. (Anyway, for godsake, dont ever compare me with others. I didnt tell him this but I'm telling you readers of this blog. You need to be dedicated officers. Work sincerely and give the best in return for what you earn). Coming back to my son, he will be asking lots of questions, such as what work u do, u always come home late and you always say you attend meetings, so your work is to attend meetings. I didnt answer many of his questions but I always tell him work comes first, then only family.
Most of my friends and even officers tend to disagree with me. They always say that family matters first, then only office work. They say family is the closest thing in this world. If you are sick the family takes care of you and not your office or your colleagues. Some even say you need to spend more time with your family. I told them I'm a dedicated officer and need to spend more time in the office. They say whatever nice time you miss with your family, you will not get it back. Time just moves on.
I tend to ponder alot on this matter. I tend to agree with my colleagues to a certain extent. Time is short. You live only a short moment in this world. The time when your first kid is born and started to grow-up slowly, is actually so precious. You take the kid to shops, to the parks and watch each and every behavior. Sometimes kids are so clever and you tend to learn lots of things from them, cos kids are the most innocent human creatures. The period when your kid is born, then going to school until they go to college is the crucial moment. During this period, is the time for you to pour your love and more importantly, nurture them into good and worthy human beings. Once they are in the college, they won't have time for you.
Apart from your kids, other family members are important too. They care for you and you too must care for them. I didnt spend much time with my mum. I seldom visit her in Ipoh ( only twice a year). Like i told you in my earlier entry, even when she passed away in April, I could not attend her funeral, cos I was in Harvard, Boston. I do regret sometimes and always ask for her forgiveness. But what is gone is gone, life has to go on. The longer you live, the more you learn about life and how to react. Even reading this entry may change you or make you think.
But having said that family is important, that doesnt mean work is less important. Work is equally important, especially working for Government. Your work contributes to the happiness and well-being of millions of people in the country compared to only five or six members of your family. You need to be dedicated and provide the best out of you for anything you are asked to do. Do reaserch, read alot and particiapte actively in all work you are tasked. Every good work you do, helps the nation to prosper ( sounds like a politician).
Note: I still believe for any hard work you do, the satisfaction you get is invaluable. You judge for yourselves family or work. Any comments?
2 comments:
No matter what you've done for yourself or for humanity, if you can't look back on having given love and attention to your own family, what have you really accomplished?-- Elbert Hubbard
"When You Die, Your Family Will Grieve For The Rest Of Their Lives and Will Never Find A Replacement.. But Your Co-Workers Will Grieve For One Month, Until They Get Your Replacement" - Jon Van Larke
Post a Comment