Monday, October 1, 2007

Lovers then and lovers today

I was so busy for the past two days. In between i was listening to old love songs which brings old memories and also try to analyse the current love. I had discussions with Christine about lovers during my time and lovers today. I told Christine that lovers during my time will write love letters usually containing poems to their loved ones. Whatever natural environment surrounding us, will be crafted in the form poems of love. These include relating love to the moon, sun, stars, sky, sea, rivers or mountains. Below are two poems of this kind

Your Name
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in my heart,
and forever it will stay.
- Jessica Blade -

My Love
My love is like an ocean
It goes down so deep
My love is like a rose
Whose beauty you want to keep.
My love is like a river
That will never end
My love is like a dove
With a beautiful message to send.
My love is like a song
That goes on and on forever
My love is like a prisoner
It's to you that I surrender.
- Tasha Shores -

We lovers also go on dating those days. We go picnic to beaches, waterfalls and of course to movies and discos.

Well according to Christine ( representing the younger generation), she said that nowadays they dont relate love to nature like moon or sun, they relate love to reality. I dont know what she meant. But i guess action is better than words. According to her, she and her frens ( i guess including bfs) hangout at shopping malls like the Curve or KLCC. They go to movies or hangout at Starbuck, Coffee Bean or mamak stalls.

But whether love then or today, the common thing i.e. true love is the same. These include caring for each other and willing to sacrifice (tend to agree with Christine and Relucent (welcome to my blog) ).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

akan kupintal buih buih
menjadi tali
mengikatmu

akan kuanyam gelombang gelombang
menjadi hamparan
ranjang tidurmu

akan kutenun awan gemawan
menjadi selendang
menudungi rambutmu

akan kujahit bayu gunung
menjadi baju
pakaian malammu

akan kupetik bintang timur
menjadi kerongsang
menyinari dadamu

akan kujolok bulan gerhana
menjadi lampu
menyuluhi rindu

akan kurebahkan matari
menjadi laut malammu
menghirup sakar madumu

kekasih, hitunglah mimpi
yang membunuh realiti
dengan syurga ilusi.

kekasih.
usman awang.
25 november 1976.

ok, if this is the sort of things that you write to your loved ones back then, then i guess it's cool. this is probably the only love poem in malay that i found un-jiwang-ness.

people should write more malay love poem like this.