Sunday, September 21, 2008

Changing Civil Service Working Culture

Deputy PM has been appointed as the new Finance Minister (FM)exchanging post with PM (who will take over the Defence portfolio). Hope things change for the better.
Today.. sunday 21/9/2008, I'm in the office had to prepare briefing slides/notes for my boss, who will be presenting the current economic situation and the 2009 Budget to the new FM. The preparatory meeting suppose to start at 11.00 am, then shifted to 12 pm. Then, I was told it will start at 1.00 pm. Now, I'm doubtful that it will start at 1.00 pm. This is how government machinery works. I'm not criticising but time and schedule always change and irritates the other officers who support us, especially those who have commitments. Moreover, today is a Sunday and it's a fasting month.
Hope things will change. Officers in the government should change working paradigm compared to the old regime. We should not make others wait at the expense of us. Senior officers often don't take into account the prior commitments of junior officers. For team spirit and better results there should be two-way cooperation and compromise on working schedules, as oppose to the the one-way direction of the current practice.
Note: Changing world and changing time should also bring to changing civil service working culture

No comments: