Monday, October 8, 2007

No Frustrations in Islam…..

Today, I’m a bit early to work. Usually, I will just be reaching office to clock in at 8.30 am. They say I drive like hell. I’m early today for two reasons. Firstly, I had to attend an important meeting at 9.00am. Secondly, I wanna post this entry before I leave for the meeting.

Last Friday nite, I had a heated discussion with Christine on the subject –Frustrations. I said heated discussion coz Christine seldom raise her voice. Maybe she got carried away coz earlier she was so upset over some matter with her friend.

I told her there is no such thing as frustrations in Islam. She said don’t say words which u are not sure of. I said I’m pretty sure. I attended a ceramah long ago (during my younger days), the Ustaz said that in Islam there is no such thing as frustrations. He said Islam wants a strong and successful Ummah. They must be obedient to Islamic syariah principles.

I tend to agree that there is no place for frustrations is Islam. If a girl breaks-off with her boyfriend, he or she should not be frustrated and be heart broken over it (Of course, we human are not angel and tend to be sad). The younger generations usually will be sad over it and be damn frustrated. And frustrations may lead to bad things such as sucide and immoral activities. U can fail in things but don’t cry over failures and get frustrated. Take failures as challenges and work towards success. Frustrations are for losers.

Another example- if a close family member or friend dies suddenly. You can be sad for a while but don’t get frustrated. Every human being will die one day. In Islam, its clearly stated that from Allah you come and to Allah you return. You are not allowed to be frustrated over death. The close Malay word for frustration is kecewa or putus asa. You cant be kecewa or putus asa over things that happen to u. The right thing to do is redha i.e. accept the fact or facing the reality. Ummah who manage to face reality and accept the fact rather than be frustrated will be given rewards in life hereafter (Of course he must be Syariah abiding Muslim).

Christine, I love to discuss with u, practically about everything under and above the sky. Sometimes in the course of discussion or intellectual arguments we tend to disagree and have different opinions on things. Each individual has his/her own rights pertaining to personal views. He/she may be right or wrong but each tend to hold on to their individual perspective on things. But this should not result even in a tiny scratch in our sincere and true friendship. We should continue discussing and argue in order to discover new dimensions and perspectives in life. You know me very well now, I like to probe and provoke about any thing in order to discover new things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."

i am not quite sure what christine feels or says about this. but for me, personally, humans being humans, we cannot run away from feelings. we can be frustrated of course, but at the end of it we must come out from such frustrations. you need to be careful when you put "life" into words, sir. it can be interpreted differently especially from our non-Muslim friends.

at one glance, it looks like Islam is denying such rights. the right to feel sad or frustrated.

maybe that was what christine meant.